Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
OK, then the second one:
{$if BitSizeOf (LongestInt) > High (TString)} {$error "this won't work: on this platform LongestInt it too huuge ..."} {$endif}
... (apart from the fact that this check is really quite silly, as we've discussed privately) ...
Particular example, sure. In general, it would be nice to check for "impossible" prerequisites. This just reminded me of an Arriane counter that "possibly couldn't go over 32767" (or something) ;-) ...
Yes, I remember that. But I suppose it wouldn't have been caught at compile time. Any a runtime abort would not have been very helpful, either. ;-) Generally, I'm very skeptical of "can't happen"s. But this one is really absurd, as I explained.
Generally, and theoretically, when I'm writting part of unit/library, I can't know in advance what it should be running on. Pehaps there are machines with BitSizeOf (LongestInt) > High (TString) = 2048 already ...
Definitely not. GCC's internals are such that it can't handle integers larger than 64 or 128 bits (not sure exactly) at all. Frank -- Frank Heckenbach, frank@g-n-u.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/, 7977168E GPC To-Do list, latest features, fixed bugs: http://www.gnu-pascal.de/todo.html GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482 4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707