Armsdon, Phil wrote:
I have GPC 2.1 20020510 installed from source on a Sun solaris 2.8 machine with all the associated pre-requisites with gcc 2.95.3
I am now trying to install the alpha version of GPC 2.1 20030830 on the same machine. I am using all the same pre-requisites and the same copy of gcc 2.95.3 I am getting a problem with this compilation at teh configure stage. When I run
configure --prefix=/opt/ACMLgpc --enable-languages=pascal
with the alpha version, I get an error message just after I confirm the action to patch the source:
*** *** Detected GCC version 2.95.3. *** GPC 2.1 requires a patch to GCC to build with version 2.95.3. *** This patch will now be applied. *** Press ENTER to continue, Ctrl-C to abort. ***
*** Creating dummy ./p/Makefile.in ./configure: syntax error at line 8403: `fi' unexpected Configure in /opt/ACMLgpc/src/gcc-2.95.3/gcc failed, exiting.
Has anyone seen this error message? Any idea how to fix it?
This problem might arise because GPC's config-lang.in patches the configure script which is just running. (This seems to depend on the internals of the shell -- when I wrote and tested it with Linux and bash, I didn't see such a problem.) It is a kind of chicken and egg problem, but it only affects gcc-2.95 and only when configuring the first time after extracting the GCC sources, so if you start again at configure, it might just work. I don't consider it high priority, since gcc-2.x support is going to fade out anyway. Which also means, if you have no particular reason to use gcc-2.x, I suggest you try a gcc-3.x version instead (currently recommended: gcc-3.2.3) where this problem shouldn't arise at all. Frank -- Frank Heckenbach, frank@g-n-u.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/, 7977168E GPC To-Do list, latest features, fixed bugs: http://www.gnu-pascal.de/todo.html GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482 4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707